Sunday, July 30, 2017

The Great Unifier...

I Corinthians 13:8 Love never ends. As for prophecies, they will pass away; as for tongues, they will cease; as for knowledge, it will pass away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when the perfect comes, the partial will pass away. 11 When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I gave up childish ways. 12 For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I have been fully known. 13 So now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love.
Paul was addressing this church body riddled with strife.  Their primary problem was pride: they thought they had everything going for them, including great theology and worship. But these are not enough to hold together a church.  After giving a long list of Christ-like characteristics of love - doing what is best for the others, no matter what it costs me - Paul gets down to the nitty-gritty. Even if we have great faith in God's power, and even if the hope of eternity with God energizies us to endure, if we do not exercise His love, we will fail in our calling as His church.  It is the glue that will hold us together, so that we will carry out His designed purpose for us.  It is the daily exercise of our faith and hope.  Don't tell me about a great sermon or even worship celebration; tell me about the love demonstrated one to another.

No comments:

Post a Comment