Friday, July 21, 2017

Big Talkers

I Corinthians 4:18 Some are arrogant, as though I were not coming to you. 19 But I will come to you soon, if the Lord wills, and I will find out not the talk of these arrogant people but their power. 20 For the kingdom of God does not consist in talk but in power. 21 What do you wish? Shall I come to you with a rod, or with love in a spirit of gentleness?
Paul was frustrated. He had invested heavily in the people of the church at Corinth, but was receiving reports that they were living selfishly and carnally. Some even bragged about it.  He had been a spiritual father to them, and in that sense was now saying "don't make me come in there!"  They needed a spiritual whack on the side of the head, or maybe even in front of the head!  He preferred to be able to address them with gentleness, but was not sure what would be an option.  There have been times I have encountered loud-mouthed arrogant people in church disputes.  Gladly, some, as soon as approached with their divisive and sinful behavior have softened and backed down, even being a part of the resolution.  But I have seen others harden, become defensive, and even offensive towards anyone who addresses them. They often go away and infect others with their unbridled anger and self-righteous arrogance.  Lord, may we be approachable through a spirit of gentleness, so that we hear and respond over the loudness of our brash speech.  

No comments:

Post a Comment