Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Outnumbered by Objectivity...

Then Achish called David and said to him, “As the LORD lives, you have been honest, and to me it seems right that you should march out and in with me in the campaign. For I have found nothing wrong in you from the day of your coming to me to this day. Nevertheless, the lords do not approve of you. So go back now; and go peaceably, that you may not displease the lords of the Philistines.” And David said to Achish, “But what have I done? What have you found in your servant from the day I entered your service until now, that I may not go and fight against the enemies of my lord the king?” And Achish answered David and said, “I know that you are as blameless in my sight as an angel of God. Nevertheless, the commanders of the Philistines have said, ‘He shall not go up with us to the battle.’ Now then rise early in the morning with the servants of your lord who came with you, and start early in the morning, and depart as soon as you have light.” So David set out with his men early in the morning to return to the land of the Philistines. But the Philistines went up to Jezreel.
(1 Samuel 29:6-11 ESV)
David had won his way into the heart of Achish. Not only did Achish entrust his own head into David's hands as bodyguard; he entrusted his men and the army of all Philistia in having David around.  But the kings and leaders of the other four cities did not see it that way. Echos of "Saul has slain his thousands, but David has slain his ten thousands" still rang in their heads.  Disappointed, Achish tells and retells David that he totally trusts him.  But do you wonder what David is thinking as Achish says: "You have been honest."? David had not been totally honest.  Yet David pushes the point, and forces Achish to say: "I know that you are blameless."  You cannot fool all of the people all of the time. Davd is not going on this trip, and we will see soon why it is best for him, as well as them.  How open are you and I to objective correction and rebuke?  Do we push back, trying to convince more and more people of something we know is not fully true? Are we blinded by the smooth talk of others, so that we cannot see or hear objectively what everyone else can see clearly, and continue in our illusions?  What or who does it take for us to face the facts?

No comments:

Post a Comment