Wednesday, February 24, 2016

What we CAN see..

And the LORD said to Moses, “This very thing that you have spoken I will do, for you have found favor in my sight, and I know you by name.” Moses said, “Please show me your glory.” And he said, “I will make all my goodness pass before you and will proclaim before you my name ‘The LORD.’ And I will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and will show mercy on whom I will show mercy. But,” he said, “you cannot see my face, for man shall not see me and live.” And the LORD said, “Behold, there is a place by me where you shall stand on the rock, and while my glory passes by I will put you in a cleft of the rock, and I will cover you with my hand until I have passed by. Then I will take away my hand, and you shall see my back, but my face shall not be seen.
(Exodus 33:17-23 ESV)
Moses was becoming very close to God.  In his ongoing interactions with the LORD, he was getting an ever-increasing understanding of Who God is and what He wants. He wanted more. We're not ready for more.  But rather than dwelling on what we cannot see, God wants us to focus on what we can see and know about God and His will.  We can know His goodness, His mercy, and His grace.  We can experience all good things come from His hand; we can see His mercy on us as miserable failures; we can receive His grace as sinners who are recipients of His salvation.  If we see these things, and are thankful for them, we will have seen plenty until we see His glory in eternity.  We will still be overwhelmed by that glory(Revelation), but it will not be in such a shock that it strikes us dead.  Let us rejoice in what God does let us see about Him, and trust and hope for what is yet to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment