Monday, February 1, 2016

Stay Together...

But one of the sons of Ahimelech the son of Ahitub, named Abiathar, escaped and fled after David. And Abiathar told David that Saul had killed the priests of the LORD. And David said to Abiathar, “I knew on that day, when Doeg the Edomite was there, that he would surely tell Saul. I have occasioned the death of all the persons of your father's house. Stay with me; do not be afraid, for he who seeks my life seeks your life. With me you shall be in safekeeping.
(1 Samuel 22:20-23 ESV)
David and Abiathar had one big thing in common: Saul was out to get them.  David knew what it was to be on the run, fleeing for his life.  He did as much as he could to find places where he could settle for awhile and offer safety and security to his band of brothers.  Here he invites Abiathar.  We need to offer a safe haven to one another when the storms of life come, especially the most violent and critical ones.  May we as God's people develop that atmosphere that says "we're here for you when you need it most. Come, stay with me. We stay together as His family."

No comments:

Post a Comment