Saturday, February 13, 2016

A Simple, Seasoned Side-dish Sacrifice

For I am already being poured out as a drink offering, and the time of my departure has come. I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Henceforth there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, will award to me on that Day, and not only to me but also to all who have loved his appearing.
(2 Timothy 4:6-8 ESV)
Paul, near the end of his time on earth, had done it all. He had experienced every type of opposition for the gospel. He had learned what it means to be a "living sacrifice" for Christ.  But he did not view himself as some sort of "Holy Cow" or perfect lamb.  He saw himself as a drink offering, offered alongside the main Offering. He had a mature perspective on what God calls us to in sacrifice. It's not all about me, and what I give.  It's about being on board with Christ, being faithful, loving Him and longing for His presence.  It not some dramatic last-minute martyrdom, but a daily walk/race/fight against the forces of darkness.  We may be called on to leave this life in a blaze of glory, but more than likely it will be walking one step in this life, the next in the next.  May we appreciate the joy of being this kind of sacrifice, offering, follower of Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment