Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Following Jesus: Excuse #2

Matthew 8:21-22 Another disciple said to him, “Lord, first let me go and bury my father.” But Jesus told him, “Follow me, and let the dead bury their own dead.” Ouch! Jesus knows how to hurt a guy. This man was a disciple - one following after and learning from Jesus. But now they had come to the edge of the Sea of Galilee and Jesus was about to get in a boat. What He coming back? If so, when was He coming back? How long would He be gone? I'm not even packed? Jesus is challenging us to see how far we will go in following after Him. Some scholars, because of the wording here, believe the man's father was not dead yet, but expected to die soon. Was he being responsible? Or waiting for the inheritance? It really doesn't matter, because again, it's not so we can judge him, but so we can examine our own commitment to Christ. What holds me back from following further?

No comments:

Post a Comment