Friday, December 22, 2023

Since Jesus Came #22


 Revelation 3:19 Those whom I love, I reprove and discipline, so be zealous and repent. 20 Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with me. 21 The one who conquers, I will grant him to sit with me on my throne, as I also conquered and sat down with my Father on his throne. 22 He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.’”

As we look at the messages the LORD gave to John to share in his Revelation, He did not have a lot of compliments to give to the churches. He did however give a lot of calls to repent.  There has been a lot of debate over the use and abuse of verse 20 among Bible students. We are not going to spend the time here to join that debate. Rather, let's think about where else in the Bible we have people coming to knock on the door.  My mind immediately comes to two occasions. First, in Jesus parable about the persistent neighbor, which He used to call us to persistent prayer.  Indeed, when believers pray, Christ hears, but He is also calling back.  Are we listening? Secondly, my mind goes to Acts 12 and the church praying for Peter's release from Herod's prison, then he comes knocking at the door, having been delivered by the Lord.  There are others as well, but one thing we can say: while we wait for Christ's Second Advent, one thing we can and must do is pray - both calling out to Him and listening for Him to have fellowship with us, to strengthen us, and to guide us in what He wants for us until He comes again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment