Tuesday, August 15, 2023

Don't Play It Safe #9

Judges 6:15 And he said to him, “Please, Lord, how can I save Israel? Behold, my clan is the weakest in Manasseh, and I am the least in my father's house.” 16 And the Lord said to him, “But I will be with you, and you shall strike the Midianites as one man.” 17 And he said to him, “If now I have found favor in your eyes, then show me a sign that it is you who speak with me. 18 Please do not depart from here until I come to you and bring out my present and set it before you.” And he said, “I will stay till you return.”

It's interesting to observe that as we survey scripture just about everyone called by God to do something had reservations: they questioned whether they were really supposed to do something risky - like go to war with the Midianites.  We see that a lot with Gideon.  More than once he sought conformation that God was talking with the right guy.  He felt totally incompetent and unprepared.  Like Moses, he thought: "I can't do this."  But once again, the LORD said: "I will be with you." Gideon wisely begged: "Lord, don't give up on me yet; I just need to be sure.  We often criticize Gideon for this, but do we really think we would have done any different? The fact is that Gideon did step out, take the risk, and see the Lord get the victory through him.  That's what God asks of all of us. He calls us, then prepares us, making us ready.  We just need to stop playing it safe and doing nothing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment