Sunday, August 13, 2023

Don't Play It Safe #7


Job and his "friends" had been having quite the discussion about Job's recent disasters: "Why had they happened? What could he have done to avoid them? What should he do now?" When we come to the final chapter, Job finally sees things clearly.  
 Job 42: Then Job answered the Lord and said:
2 “I know that you can do all things,
    and that no purpose of yours can be thwarted.
3 ‘Who is this that hides counsel without knowledge?’
Therefore I have uttered what I did not understand,
    things too wonderful for me, which I did not know.
4 ‘Hear, and I will speak;
    I will question you, and you make it known to me.’
5 I had heard of you by the hearing of the ear,
    but now my eye sees you;
6 therefore I despise myself,
    and repent in dust and ashes.
It was not so much what Job did, could have done, or could do; it was what he believed about God and what He could do.  He was to move forward in life as he had before: taking the risks of having children, doing business, and living according to God's standards, believing that God loved him and was capable of carrying out His perfect plan for his life.  Job and his friends had been having all this discussion without God and considering what He is wanting and able to do.  Job now invites God into the conversation and willingly submits himself afresh to God's plan.  By the end of the chapter, things are better than ever. Life is indeed worth taking the risk of living. 

No comments:

Post a Comment