Saturday, March 18, 2023

Getting to Know Jesus by Name#77: Rock


I Corinthians 10:1 For I do not want you to be unaware, brothers, that our fathers were all under the cloud, and all passed through the sea, 2 and all were baptized into Moses in the cloud and in the sea, 3 and all ate the same spiritual food, 4 and all drank the same spiritual drink. For they drank from the spiritual Rock that followed them, and the Rock was Christ.
The picture of Christ as The Rock finds its roots deep in the Old Testament. Here Paul reminds us that Christ was very much present in the history of Israel, and the Psalmists often present Him as such, as in Psalm 18:2 The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer,
    my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge,
    my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.
Rather than being cold, hard, and dumb, the Rock means: "a large mass of stone forming a cliff, promontory or cliff; solid in firmness, foundation, support, refuge."*.  The Rock gives us stability, security, and protection in all of life's storms and threats.  No wonder we sing: "On Christ the Solid Rock I Stand."
*(Diann Cotton: 100 Days with Jesus)

No comments:

Post a Comment