Sunday, March 5, 2023

Getting to Know Jesus by Name #64: My Lord and My God


John 20:26 Eight days later, his disciples were inside again, and Thomas was with them. Although the doors were locked, Jesus came and stood among them and said, “Peace be with you.” 27 Then he said to Thomas, “Put your finger here, and see my hands; and put out your hand, and place it in my side. Do not disbelieve, but believe.” 28 Thomas answered him, “My Lord and my God!” 
When Jesus' closest followers first heard that He had risen from the death, many responded with an understandable: "I can't believe it."  Thomas, however, after hearing not just from a disciple here or there, but all the other 10 disciples gathered at once stated: "I will not believe it."  He represents well the lives of many of us who "took awhile" to come in faith.  We may not have so honestly said it out loud, but there was in our lives reasons we refused to believe and receive Christ.  But when Thomas did see Jesus, his response was even more emphatic: My Lord and My God. We have seen both those names for Jesus before: Lord: "One having power and authority over others; a ruler by heredity right or preeminence to whom service and obedience are due." and God: "The supreme or ultimate reality; the Being perfect in power, wisdom and goodness who is worshipped as creator and ruler of the universe."* Obviously, when Thomas joined the two together things really had all come together to proclaim who Jesus Christ really is: Our Lord and Our God, rightful ruler over all, including, and especially me.  
(Diann Cotton: 100 Days with Jesus)

No comments:

Post a Comment