Friday, November 6, 2020



30 I will praise the name of God with a song;
    I will magnify him with thanksgiving.
31 This will please the Lord more than an ox
    or a bull with horns and hoofs.
32 When the humble see it they will be glad;
    you who seek God, let your hearts revive.
33 For the Lord hears the needy
    and does not despise his own people who are prisoners.
As the Psalmist is wrapping up Psalm 69, he calls himself to thanksgiving. To better understand how significant this is, we need to look back at how he began in the opening verses:
Save me, O God!
    For the waters have come up to my neck.
2 I sink in deep mire,
    where there is no foothold;
I have come into deep waters,
    and the flood sweeps over me.
3 I am weary with my crying out;
    my throat is parched.
My eyes grow dim
    with waiting for my God.
He is drowning in despair, dishonor, and discouragement. All of his support system has abandoned him. He cannot go to worship God. But then he remembers that God cannot be bought with sacrifices and offerings.  Unlike false religions that think you buy your way into God's good graces, He wants our thanks, our gratitude for our life; He wants us to proclaim that we need Him and we want Him. This will not only help him, but also others who find themselves in sinking ships, up to their necks in despair. We can help one another with our thanksgiving, even in the time of struggle an suffering. Thanksgiving revives our hearts, and the hearts of those around us. Others may despise us, but God will not. 

No comments:

Post a Comment