Friday, October 2, 2020

Walk and Talk with the Lord #2

It has often been said that "Golf is a good walk spoiled." I don't agree with that, but in Genesis 3 we find the best walk was spoiled. We begin with the same verse as yesterday:

8 And they heard the sound of the Lord God walking in the garden in the cool of the day, and the man and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the Lord God among the trees of the garden. 9 But the Lord God called to the man and said to him, “Where are you?” 10 And he said, “I heard the sound of you in the garden, and I was afraid, because I was naked, and I hid myself.” 11 He said, “Who told you that you were naked? Have you eaten of the tree of which I commanded you not to eat?” 12 The man said, “The woman whom you gave to be with me, she gave me fruit of the tree, and I ate.” 13 Then the Lord God said to the woman, “What is this that you have done?” The woman said, “The serpent deceived me, and I ate.” 

Sin made all the difference in the way Adam and Eve walked and talked with God. Instead of anticipating their time together, they hid in shame. Instead of talking openly and truthfully, they made excuses. Instead of bringing them closer together, they argued with Him and one another.  The fall was a great walk spoiled.  The good news is that in Christ we can walk and talk with the Lord in a meaningful way. God still wants us to anticipate the conversation, and to always be willing and ready to walk and talk with Him. We just need to not talk back to God they way Adam and Eve did. We need to be willing to admit our sin. God was greatly grieved by their decision to disobey, but He was also frustrated by their refusal to admit it.  We often tell our children that when they disobey, and then try to hide it: We want not only obedience, but honesty.  If you find it hard to enter into God's presence for a conversation, begin this way: "I'm sorry, Lord. I messed up." That will set the tone for a much more meaningful conversation, and you will sense a far deeper discussion than you have had in a long time. Turn the great walk spoiled into a refreshing walk and talk with God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment