Thursday, September 3, 2020

Look Inside. Look around. What do you see? Show Me! #3

 


22 “You shall therefore keep all my statutes and all my rules and do them, that the land where I am bringing you to live may not vomit you out. 23 And you shall not walk in the customs of the nation that I am driving out before you, for they did all these things, and therefore I detested them. 24 But I have said to you, ‘You shall inherit their land, and I will give it to you to possess, a land flowing with milk and honey.’ I am the Lord your God, who has separated you from the peoples. 25 You shall therefore separate the clean beast from the unclean, and the unclean bird from the clean. You shall not make yourselves detestable by beast or by bird or by anything with which the ground crawls, which I have set apart for you to hold unclean. 26 You shall be holy to me, for I the Lord am holy and have separated you from the peoples, that you should be mine. (Leviticus 20)

Yesterday we talked about the Exodus of Israel from their captivity in Egypt, and the great journey that life can be. Today we move on to Leviticus which gives all sorts of instructions on how they were to live in the promised land.  The title of the book could be misleading, making us think it only has to do with the Levites and priests of Israel, but that is not the case. It is all about leading a holy life before a holy God. On numberous occasions throughout the book, God pauses to remind us: "You shall be holy to me, for I the Lord am holy and have separated you from the peoples."  Not only is worship to be different, but our family lives, our work ethic, our handling of finances and friendships - every aspect of life is to be lived in the presence of our holy God. But often we just pick a few parts of our lives to make holy: the way we dress, our participation or non-participation in certain events, words we use or will not use. Yes, holiness does have to do with those, but so much more. Look around you. Look inside you. Where do you see God's holiness? Where do you want to see God's holiness more? Where do you see it in community or in others? Take a picture, post it here, and pray the God's holiness will be seen in us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment