Thursday, May 16, 2019

When Something Stands Out

26 Now as they were eating, Jesus took bread, and after blessing it broke it and gave it to the disciples, and said, “Take, eat; this is my body.”27 And he took a cup, and when he had given thanks he gave it to them, saying, “Drink of it, all of you, 28 for this is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins. 29 I tell you I will not drink again of this fruit of the vine until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father's kingdom.” (Matthew 26)
This paragraph and the one before it are the only two memories of the upper room which Matthew shares. This is in stark contrast to John, who spends a few chapters on what Jesus did and said that night. The institution of the Lord's supper stands big in Matthew's memory.  Forgiveness does that.  It should for all of us: the fact that Jesus shed His blood and gave His life for us should be one of the most outstanding facts that intersects our lives.  It should also be what it was for Matthew - a reminder of the promise to which we look of His coming again, and our sharing with Him at His table.  

No comments:

Post a Comment