Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Astonishing Authority

28 And when Jesus finished these sayings, the crowds were astonished at his teaching, 29 for he was teaching them as one who had authority, and not as their scribes. (Matthew 7)
As a preacher, I have heard a number of impressive preachers.  Yet, none of them match the things we hear from Jesus' lips.  Often I find myself thinking I need to talk less and just read scripture more, letting it (and Him) speak for Himself.  As a preacher I have also had those "looks" - who are you to tell me what to beleive or how to live?  When speaking my own words and wisdom, this is true, but there is a sense in which Christ can still amaze through the wisdom and Spirit He has entrusted to those who speak on His behalf.  His authority still finds it's way through.  So, keep on listening, keep on trusting, keep on obeying Him.  He astonishes and amazes still.  

No comments:

Post a Comment