Friday, March 3, 2017

The Good Hand of my GOD...

And I said to the king, “If it pleases the king, let letters be given me to the governors of the province Beyond the River, that they may let me pass through until I come to Judah,and a letter to Asaph, the keeper of the king's forest, that he may give me timber to make beams for the gates of the fortress of the temple, and for the wall of the city, and for the house that I shall occupy.” And the king granted me what I asked, for the good hand of my God was upon me.
(Nehemiah 2)
Here is Nehemiah, getting everything he asked for from the king. How did he do that? He tells us: "the good hand of my God." How does that happen? WHat do we see to this point about Nehemiah? This is not a step-by-step way to get what you want, but it is a way to know when God is at work. First, he had compassion for those who were suffering. When he heard what was happening to his fellow Israelites he mourned for them: he cared about others, and was moved to do something to help; he was unselfish.  Secondly, He called out to God. There is no way we can know if we are on the same page with God if we are not in open communication with Him - calling out, and listening.  Thirdly, a good dose of confession, admitting the human condition - that we are sinful, needy, helpless, without God's intervention.  Fourthly, after all this, contemplation. Nehemiah was not some impulsive reactionary.  He weighed things carefully, counting the cost - not only for himself, but for everyone involved.  All these things led to his confidence not only to ask, but to know he was in God's will.  May the hand of God be mighty in your life today.

No comments:

Post a Comment