Thursday, February 9, 2017

Two things I need to know...


Proverbs 30:

The words of Agur son of Jakeh. The oracle.[a]
The man declares, I am weary, O God;
    I am weary, O God, and worn out.[b]
Surely I am too stupid to be a man.
    I have not the understanding of a man.
I have not learned wisdom,
    nor have I knowledge of the Holy One.
Who has ascended to heaven and come down?
    Who has gathered the wind in his fists?
Who has wrapped up the waters in a garment?
    Who has established all the ends of the earth?
What is his name, and what is his son's name?
    Surely you know!
Every word of God proves true;
    he is a shield to those who take refuge in him.
Do not add to his words,
    lest he rebuke you and you be found a liar.

Two things I ask of you;
    deny them not to me before I die:
Remove far from me falsehood and lying;
    give me neither poverty nor riches;
    feed me with the food that is needful for me,
lest I be full and deny you
    and say, “Who is the Lord?”
or lest I be poor and steal
    and profane the name of my God.
Sometimes I get the feeling that people, maybe even Christians especially, when they get older, think they have come to know it all and understand it all. Not the writer here. He began by saying that compared to God we are all pretty stupid. There is still a lot we do not know, even after all these years.  We never will. But there are two key principles we all need to learn: the truth is always best, and contentment covers a lot of bases.  All of us at times sacrifice truth for personal appearance or convenience; we need to get over that. Truth always matters, because God is always true. Why lie?  Any of us who declare we are always honest deserve a smack in the mouth.  The second blessing, contentment, is also not so easy for us, yet it may seem more attainable.  I have seen it - not often, but occasionally, in the lives of some sainth.  It is well worth having and pursuing, which almost seems like an oxymoron: to pursue contentment. But then again, by the grace of God, nothing is impossible.  "Lord, today, teach me to be totally truthful and completely content." 

No comments:

Post a Comment