Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Keep knocking...

 He said, “In a certain city there was a judge who neither feared God nor respected man. And there was a widow in that city who kept coming to him and saying, ‘Give me justice against my adversary.’ For a while he refused, but afterward he said to himself, ‘Though I neither fear God nor respect man, yet because this widow keeps bothering me, I will give her justice, so that she will not beat me down by her continual coming.’” (Luke 18:2-5 ESV)
In the picture Jesus uses here, this woman keeps knocking at the judge's door over and over again, asking for justice.  She has a just cause; she is going through the right channels; she just isn't getting any action; she is doing the right thing.  That's what we need to do; keep knocking on the door, pleading our case before God.  This unjust judge finally gives in, lest she knock the door down, and literally, "give him a black eye" or knock him upside his head.  Much of Jewish thinking of the time was to pray no more than three times a day; Jesus challenges that mindset. God wants to be bothered.

No comments:

Post a Comment