Saturday, September 14, 2024

Help Us; Help Me!

Psalm 108:10 Who will bring me to the fortified city?
    Who will lead me to Edom?
11 Have you not rejected us, O God?
    You do not go out, O God, with our armies.
12 Oh grant us help against the foe,
    for vain is the salvation of man!
13 With God we shall do valiantly;
    it is he who will tread down our foes.
Psalm 109:1 Be not silent, O God of my praise!
2 For wicked and deceitful mouths are opened against me,
    speaking against me with lying tongues.
3 They encircle me with words of hate,
    and attack me without cause.
In our study of the Psalms, we have seen over and over again David begins a psalm crying out to God for deliverance, then by the end he is singing His praises. But here in the first psalm he begins by exalting God for His plan to give Israel the promised land, but by the end of the psalm he laments that they have not yet completed that task. Yet, He believes, with God they will. The second psalm here then begins with him once again calling out for help, as he is being pursued by his enemies.  He asks God to step in and defend and defeat his enemies, and by the end of the psalm vows to stand before God in praise along with other faithful worshippers.  In essence he sees that God helps us and God helps me.

No comments:

Post a Comment