Wednesday, July 31, 2024

Wise by the Spirit


I Corinthians 2:And I, when I came to you, brothers, did not come proclaiming to you the testimony of God with lofty speech or wisdom. 2 For I decided to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ and him crucified. 3 And I was with you in weakness and in fear and much trembling, 4 and my speech and my message were not in plausible words of wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power, 5 so that your faith might not rest in the wisdom of men but in the power of God.

We saw yesterday that Paul was addressing this church plagued with division. Part of the problem was that some people thought they were so smart - that they knew more than others and experienced more than others, therefore everyone should listen to them. It was especially bad because they had divided into little camps of opposition.  Paul starts right out in this chapter contrasting that with His approach.  The key is to make sure our trust is in God, and the power and wisdom of His Spirit, not in men.  He goes on to show that it is only by the Spirit that we can know the heart and plan of God. Spiritual things cannot be comprehended or apprehended by men without the Spirit of God within, and that only happens when we have humbly put our trust in Christ, Who humbled Himself on our behalf.   

No comments:

Post a Comment