Sunday, January 7, 2024

The God Who Answers


Psalm 3:3 But you, O Lord, are a shield about me,
    my glory, and the lifter of my head.
4 I cried aloud to the Lord,
    and he answered me from his holy hill. Selah

Psalm 4:1 But know that the Lord has set apart the godly for himself;
    the Lord hears when I call to him.
4 Be angry, and do not sin;
    ponder in your own hearts on your beds, and be silent. Selah

A very common element of many of the Psalms - especially those of David, the writer here - is calling out to God in times of distress.  David was often on the run, from either Saul or the Philistines or both, and found himself trapped, alone and fearing for his life.  He would call out to God.  Since he could not go to the temple to pray, he would often imagine in His heart and mind God on His Holy Seat there.  No matter how bad things were, but the end of the Psalm, David knew God had heard and was in the process of answering his prayer.  He wanted us to learn from his experience and wrote these psalms for our hearts.  Think about how God has heard your cries; continue to call upon Him

No comments:

Post a Comment