Wednesday, November 22, 2023

The Place to Be #83

 


II Timothy 1:8 Therefore do not be ashamed of the testimony about our Lord, nor of me his prisoner, but share in suffering for the gospel by the power of God, 9 who saved us and called us to a holy calling, not because of our works but because of his own purpose and grace, which he gave us in Christ Jesus before the ages began, 10 and which now has been manifested through the appearing of our Savior Christ Jesus, who abolished death and brought life and immortality to light through the gospel, 11 for which I was appointed a preacher and apostle and teacher, 12 which is why I suffer as I do. But I am not ashamed, for I know whom I have believed, and I am convinced that he is able to guard until that day what has been entrusted to me. 13 Follow the pattern of the sound words that you have heard from me, in the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus. 14 By the Holy Spirit who dwells within us, guard the good deposit entrusted to you.

Having challenged Timothy to stand firm in his faith and ministry, Paul goes on to get more detailed about how and why to do so.  It would be very easy for Timothy to give in to shame: Jesus was died a criminal's death and Paul was in jail, but instead of shame, he was to choose the road of suffering as both had done. That road led to salvation and service in the plan and purpose of God.  This plan was much bigger than any man or empire; it was the eternal plan of Almighty God.  Paul invited Timothy to join him on this path. He was not ashamed, but convinced and confident in God's plan and protection on this path.  All Timothy had to do was stick with the plan, the "pattern of sound words", and the presence of God through His Holy Spirit, and his journey would lead exactly where God promised - into His loving arms of safety.

No comments:

Post a Comment