Sunday, June 18, 2023

True Justice #6


 Read Micah 6

Background: For the third time, God returns to court with His case against His people. This time, He calls on the mountains and hills to listen; they have an even more objective view than the nations of the world. He begins by interviewing His people, asking them why they have turned their backs on the One Who had delivered them and provided for them.  The then gives a classic charge against them:

Key Verses
6 “With what shall I come before the Lord,
    and bow myself before God on high?
Shall I come before him with burnt offerings,
    with calves a year old?
7 Will the Lord be pleased with thousands of rams,
    with ten thousands of rivers of oil?
Shall I give my firstborn for my transgression,
    the fruit of my body for the sin of my soul?”
8 He has told you, O man, what is good;
    and what does the Lord require of you
but to do justice, and to love kindness,
    and to walk humbly with your God?

Thoughts:  God then has His people do some self-examination: What is it that God really wants from us? It is not offerings to "buy Him off;" it is a heart of humble obedience and showing others the love and mercy that God has shown to us.  In the closing paragraph God then points out all the ways that His people had violated this principle with violence, greed, dishonesty, and self-centeredness. The result would be that they would lose everything they had been living for. It would all be taken away, and so would they. 

No comments:

Post a Comment