Friday, April 7, 2023

Getting to Know Jesus by Name #97: Way


 John 14:“Let not your hearts be troubled. Believe in God; believe also in me. 2 In my Father's house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? 3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also. 4 And you know the way to where I am going.” 5 Thomas said to him, “Lord, we do not know where you are going. How can we know the way?” 6 Jesus said to him, “I am the way,
For the third time we return to this passage for a name of Jesus: The Way.  It is the first in the list because it is in reply to Thomas' question: "How can we know the way?"  The term means: "a thoroughfare for travel or transportation from place to place; an opening for passage; the course traveled from one place to another; route; a course leading in a direction or toward an objective."* As the way, Jesus is much more than a pathway to walk on; He gives directions; He gives goals; there is an objective in view.  He calms us through dark tunnels and curvy roads; He provides light in dark places; He gives 24/7 roadside assistance. He travels with us the whole way and will stay with us (rather, us with Him) when we arrive at our destination.  Like with Thomas, Christ says to us: "I'm right  here."
*(Dianne Cotton: 100 Days with Jesus)

No comments:

Post a Comment