Monday, April 25, 2022

Getting to Know Jesus' Passion #25

In John 21, Jesus has just made His third appearance to a group of His disciples:
15 When they had finished breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon, son of John, do you love me more than these?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.” He said to him, “Feed my lambs.” 16 He said to him a second time, “Simon, son of John, do you love me?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.” He said to him, “Tend my sheep.” 17 He said to him the third time, “Simon, son of John, do you love me?” Peter was grieved because he said to him the third time, “Do you love me?” and he said to him, “Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you.” Jesus said to him, “Feed my sheep. 18 Truly, truly, I say to you, when you were young, you used to dress yourself and walk wherever you wanted, but when you are old, you will stretch out your hands, and another will dress you and carry you where you do not want to go.” 19 (This he said to show by what kind of death he was to glorify God.) And after saying this he said to him, “Follow me.
We know that before this, on Resurrection Day, Peter was one of the first individuals Jesus had appeared to, but we do not know any of the details.  To be sure, since his bold proclamation of faithfulness, and then his dismal denial, Peter and Jesus had a few things to talk about. But Jesus did not dwell on his failure; He just helped Peter see some lessons learned. First, in His first question, Jesus asked:  do you love me more than these? That is the first lesson: Don't live by comparison. We notice Jesus did not repeat that phrase in His second question. The second lesson is that Love Becomes Service. Each time Jesus emphasizes that love for Him is shown by loving care as a shepherd, not being a big boss.  Finally, with the third question, Jesus says: Keep on Serving to the End.  Love lasts - even in the toughest of times. Peter had watched Jesus be taken into custody, mistreated, and mocked, then knew He had been delivered over to death. The same would happen to Peter, and He would be able to carry out the promise of faithfulness he had given in the upper room. May we love God in the long haul.

No comments:

Post a Comment