Saturday, November 27, 2021

Thanksgiving in Tough Times #27

Psalm 86 is one of those Psalms of David that begins with him calling out to God in a time of distress. After meditating on the truth that the Lord alone is God, He says:
11 Teach me your way, O Lord,
    that I may walk in your truth;
    unite my heart to fear your name.
12 I give thanks to you, O Lord my God, with my whole heart,
    and I will glorify your name forever.
13 For great is your steadfast love toward me;
    you have delivered my soul from the depths of Sheo
l.
David first asks for instruction: that God will teach Him. We must have a teachable spirit, admitting that we have a lot to learn. Then, in the second half of verse 11, he asks God to   unite my heart to fear your name. David is expressing what we all face at times: fears, doubts, and distractions that pull us away from Him and from the truth that God alone is God.  In order to counteract this proneness to wander into doubt and distraction, David determines to do his part: Give thanks. When we give thanks to God for all the ways He has shown His love and salvation in the past and present, it frees us from the fear and doubt that pulls us away from hearing His voice that teaches us, calms us, and keeps us grounded in the truth. Today, may we continue to thank Him and see what new things He has to teach us.  

No comments:

Post a Comment