Monday, May 10, 2021

Calling Out to God #9


Today, we look at another Psalm, another Prayer of David. Psalm 4: 
Answer me when I call, O God of my righteousness!
    You have given me relief when I was in distress.
    Be gracious to me and hear my prayer!
2 O men, how long shall my honor be turned into shame?
    How long will you love vain words and seek after lies? Selah
3 But know that the Lord has set apart the godly for himself;
    the Lord hears when I call to him.
4 Be angry, and do not sin;
    ponder in your own hearts on your beds, and be silent.
Selah
David starts us out right here: the only reason we can come to God in prayer and expect Him to answer is not because of our own righteousness, but because of His. God, in His mercy, gives us relief, has compassion on us when we call out to Him. He is gracious, giving us the help we need.  David is tired of people talking about him, speaking evil of him, even plotting against him. He is almost distracted as he prays, just thinking about it. Thus, we have that word of instrumental pause: Selah - lift up the instruments and play an interlude, while thinking about these things.  But then in verse 3 he comes back, and remembers that the Lord knows the truth, and the Lord listens to His children as they call.  In the final verse above, he sounds like Paul, or in reality, Paul sounds like David: Be angry, and do not sin; David calls on others to do as he has done: to spend time talking to God - so that our anger does not become bitterness. Allow God to silence your heart as well as your mouth. Lift up your complaints and cares to Him, and He will give you peace, even if others keep on talking, accusing in their own bitterness. Be not like them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment