Monday, August 17, 2020

Amazing Grace #17

 

Last of all, as to one untimely born, he appeared also to me. For I am the least of the apostles, unworthy to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God. 10 But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace toward me was not in vain. On the contrary, I worked harder than any of them, though it was not I, but the grace of God that is with me. 11 Whether then it was I or they, so we preach and so you believed. (I Corinthians 15)

What a perspective on Grace!  This chapter is often referred to as The Resurrection Chapter. Having described the core elements of the Christian faith: the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ, Paul goes on to list all the witnesses of the resurrection who could attest to its truth.  As he does, he cannot help but share how the grace of God has worked in his life. First of all, he refers to himself as untimely, least, and unworthy: to truly experience the grace of God demands humility before Him - a willingness to say and act in a way that demonstrates we need Him.  Secondly: it demands a contentment - that what God wants for us is what is best, and we are willing to set aside our agenda for His and accept our place in His plan.  Thirdly, grace does not mean we become lazy and fatalistic. Paul worked hard, which allowed God to work through Him.  Paul was not working FOR his salvation, but because of it, to please God. Finally, Paul understood that God's grace was at work in others around him.  He realized and appreciated the fact that it was not the Apostle Paul show, but the Jesus Christ show, in which he was allowed to have a role.  At different times and places others were in the forefront, and he had a minor supporting role.  We need God's grace to do so many things we cannot do on our own. How do we limit the grace of God? Through our pride, our grumbling and discontentment, our laziness, and our lack of appreciation for others. May we let His grace flow.

No comments:

Post a Comment