Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Joy Comes in the Morning (and sometimes morning comes early...)

30 
I will extol you, O Lord, for you have drawn me up
    and have not let my foes rejoice over me.
Lord my God, I cried to you for help,
    and you have healed me.
Lord, you have brought up my soul from Sheol;
    you restored me to life from among those who go down to the pit.
Sing praises to the Lord, O you his saints,
    and give thanks to his holy name.
For his anger is but for a moment,
    and his favor is for a lifetime.
Weeping may tarry for the night,
    but joy comes with the morning.
(Psalm 30)
Rising earlier than usual this morning, I found this verse on joy.  Some of us will recognize it as a catch phrase from a contemporary Christian song. It is from a Psalm I at times have used in funeral services. David is emphasizing the relatively brief length of time that God's anger wages against us as opposed to His mercy and blessing. He is disciplining us for our good, sending us to bed without supper, so we can learn the things we need to learn in this life He has set before us. So don't be grumpy this morning!  No matter how early it may be when you read this, if you are a child of God, give Him thanks for his loving hand of discipline, and eternity of blessing. May it be a joyful day, no matter how long it may be!

No comments:

Post a Comment