Saturday, May 14, 2016

The other half of hearing...

Then the LORD said to Samuel, “Behold, I am about to do a thing in Israel at which the two ears of everyone who hears it will tingle. On that day I will fulfill against Eli all that I have spoken concerning his house, from beginning to end. And I declare to him that I am about to punish his house forever, for the iniquity that he knew, because his sons were blaspheming God, and he did not restrain them. Therefore I swear to the house of Eli that the iniquity of Eli's house shall not be atoned for by sacrifice or offering forever.”
Samuel lay until morning; then he opened the doors of the house of the LORD. And Samuel was afraid to tell the vision to Eli. But Eli called Samuel and said, “Samuel, my son.” And he said, “Here I am.” And Eli said, “What was it that he told you? Do not hide it from me. May God do so to you and more also if you hide anything from me of all that he told you.” So Samuel told him everything and hid nothing from him. And he said, “It is the LORD. Let him do what seems good to him.”
(1 Samuel 3:11-18 ESV)
Samuel had prepared himself and tuned himself to hear from God. And he did.  Though it was a learning process, it was in a sense easier than the second half: telling others what he had heard.  Young Samuel had to tell Eli the bad news.  Of course, Eli had already been told, and this was just a confirmation of the news, and of the fact that Samuel was now the recipient of God's revelations.  But Samuel was understandably afraid to do the other half of his job: reporting the news to those who needed to hear it.  May we listen, hear, and willingly tell what God has to say to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment