Wednesday, March 4, 2015

An Unhappy Business...

Again, I saw vanity under the sun: one person who has no other, either son or brother, yet there is no end to all his toil, and his eyes are never satisfied with riches, so that he never asks, “For whom am I toiling and depriving myself of pleasure?” This also is vanity and an unhappy business.
(Ecclesiastes 4:7-8 ESV)
I love the way the ESV translates this pursuit and passion for possessions: an unhappy business.  So is the picture of so many of us: we look, we see, we want, we pursue, we are let down big time. The paradox is that what looks like pleasure deprives us of real pleasure.  The key is in the first sentence. It is the pursuit of stuff over meaningful relationships with whom to share life.  It leaves one empty. Again, the preacher presses us to think: "Is that me?"

No comments:

Post a Comment